Man runs from New Orleans to Pensacola for FL lighthouse | Community Spirit
A New Orleans marathon runner is putting his athletic skills to work for a good cause. George Melichar is running from the big easy all the way to Pensacola, FL. On Tuesday he made his way through Hancock County.
During his 250 mile run he will raise money for the restoration of the historic Pensacola Lighthouse.
The colorful runner with a red mo-hawk also hopes to raise awareness of the many tourism attractions found along the Gulf South.
"I think to myself, rather than complaining about a problem why don't we get together and fix the problem so that, going forward we can be proactive and have a solution," Melichar with Running For A Cause said. "So when I heard about the light house, I love light houses and I love Pensacola, so I decided to take that on and champion the opportunity to have that for future generations."
His four day journey should put him in Pensacola by Friday. To learn how you can make a donation click The Pensacola Lighthouse and Museum.
Top Diamondhead - Kiln Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Weekend Whereabouts: May 24-27
- Fugitives nabbed at daybreak by Pearl River County authorities
- PRCC graduates advised to set goals and keep trying
- Hand grenade found inside truck parked at Poplarville car dealership
- Graduates of the associate degree nursing program at Pearl River Community College receive their pi